As a constituent, your elected officials pay attention to your opinions. Action alerts are a simple yet effective way to have your voice heard. Complete the action alerts here to tell your elected officials why these issues matter to you, and encourage your colleagues and friends to join you.
Encourage Your Senators to Support Dreamers
Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL) and Senator Lindsay Graham (R-SC) introduced S. 874, the Dream Act of 2019, which would provide permanent legal protections and a path to citizenship for individuals commonly referred to as Dreamers. This bipartisan legislation, if signed into law, would allow these individuals to remain in the US and pursue their education and careers without the threat of deportation.
- Replacing the 90/10 rule with an 85/15 rule to require for-profit colleges to derive at least 15 percent of their revenue from non-federal funds, and close the loophole that allows Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs to be counted as non-federal dollars;
- Codifying the 2014 Gainful Employment regulations that require vocational programs at for-profit colleges and non-degree programs at non-profit colleges to meet minimum thresholds of debt to income rates;
- Banning the use of arbitration agreements and class action restrictions as part of enrollment agreements made between students and institutions of higher education;
- Codifying and strengthening the 2016 regulations regarding the forgiveness of the federal student loan relief that borrowers are entitled to when a school violates state or federal law;
- Expanding the prohibition of incentive compensation to cover any activity relating to a student’s academic career, from recruitment to graduation; and
- Enhancing civil penalties that the Secretary may impose on an institution and its officers found to be in violation of the law.
Stay Informed by receiving periodic updates from NACAC Government Relations!
Expand / Collapse All